Alternatives to Four-Year Enrollment in a Public High School - Click to Expand

Part-Time Attendance
(Seniors only)
Extraordinary Circumstance
Financial Circumstances
Early College
(2.4 Minimum Cumulative GPA unweighted)
College Credit Only
Dual Transfer of Credit
Full-day Senior Waiver
College Enrollment for High School Completion
SB740 Eligible
Waiver of Senior Year
Extraordinary Completion of High School Requirement
SB740 Not Eligible
Accelerated Graduation
Early Graduation
Graduation occurs end of Grade 11
Waiver of Second Semester
Graduation occurs January of Grade 12

Dual Enrollment FAQ

What is early college admission?
Early admission is a form of dual enrollment for college-level or career coursework. Eligible secondary students enroll in an approved postsecondary institution in courses which may be credited toward the high school diploma and associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career certificate.

The Student Enrollment Options Program at Harford County Public Schools (HCPS) offers Dual Transfer of Credit and College Credit only options. It is important to understand each option.

Why should I think about early admission?
As the emphasis on career planning at the secondary level increases, more students will be encouraged to select an advanced curriculum that aligns with their postsecondary goals. With hundreds of dual enrollment courses available, there is great potential to further engage and motivate students to take academically rigorous courses that capture their interests. As with all acceleration options, students must be advised based on individual needs and carefully monitored to ensure continued success. School counselors assume an important role in communicating accurate information to students and parents and have acquired an understanding of the merits of early admission while developing collaborative relationships with college advisors and peers.
Who is eligible for the early admission programs?
An eligible student is one who is enrolled in a HCPS high school in a diploma track program that will ultimately satisfy the statutory high school graduation requirements.

Students must demonstrate readiness for college-level or career-level coursework. Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.4 (unweighted) and be on-track to complete all graduation requirements.

Students participating in dual enrollment must maintain a 2.4 high school GPA to remain eligible. One attempt per dual enrollment course is allowed, including withdrawals from courses before the semester terminates. Transportation for students to a post-secondary educational program is not provided.

Are Dual Transfer of Credit courses weighted by HCPS?

The current practice at HCPS is that the course is non-weighted.

How does HCPS define Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment is an opportunity for diploma-track HCPS high school students to take credit-bearing courses at Harford Community College (HCC). Depending upon the early admission program in which the student is approved to participate, the credits may count toward earning both a high school diploma and a college degree, or college credit only.

Senate Bill 740 defines a "dually enrolled student" as a "student who is dually enrolled in a secondary school in the State; and an institution of higher education in the State."

Can a student take a college course for high school credit when an equivalent course is offered in the high school curricula?
Can a student take a college course that fulfills a state or local board of education graduation requirement?
Some college courses align with high school credit requirements. Six credits of college course work are needed to equal one credit in a high school course. Your school counselor can identify courses at HCC which will meet HCPS graduation requirements.
What are the benefits of being dually enrolled?
How much does it cost?
For the first four classes taken, you will be liable for payment in the amount of 67.5% of the usual rate per credit. For classes taken in excess of four, you will be liable for payment in the amount of 90% of the usual rate per credit. The college is also authorized to assess any standard student fees which may apply.

Students approved for Free and Reduced Meals will only be charged standard student fees.

Who will collect the amount charged for college courses?
Harford Community College will collect amounts charged for student course work under the Memorandum of Understanding entered by HCC and HCPS.
Who pays for textbooks?
Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.
What courses are available for Dual Transfer of Credit?
Your school counselor can identify courses at HCC which will meet HCPS graduation requirements.
What happens if a high school student takes a college course for dual credit and receives a failing grade?
If the course is required for high school graduation, the student will not be eligible for graduation until the required credit is earned. The grade will be reflected on the high school and college transcript.
Do I have to take a standardized test?
Yes. You must score at the acceptable college benchmarks on the SAT, ACT, or Accuplacer in order to participate in the program. Test scores may not be more than two years old.
Will dual enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?
Dual enrollment college credit will become part of the college transcript at the school where the coursework was taken. However, if students do not, upon high school graduation, attend the same college or university where they earned the dual enrollment credit, application of transfer credit to general education, prerequisite, and degree programs may vary at the receiving institution.
Is dual enrollment right for everyone?
Dual enrollment is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerate education opportunities. Students who successfully complete college courses may save time toward earning their college degree and save money with reduced tuition costs. Students should understand, however, college courses and the amount of work necessary to succeed in those courses may be much greater than in high school courses.

Must Have Items to Register at HCC

  1. HCPS Dual Enrollment Verification Form
  2. Social Security Number
  3. HCPS Transcript
  4. Test Scores (SAT, ACT, IB, AP, PARCC and/or Accuplacer)
  5. Government Issued Picture ID

How to reprint your Dual Enrollment Verification Form

  1. Students can log back in to their SEO Dashboard to access the form.
  2. Students can access the document from their SEO Approval email.