HCPS Communications Office is responsible for the school system’s public relations and
efforts including marketing, internal communications, community engagement, media relations, etc.
Educational public relations is a planned, systematic management function, designed to help improve the
programs and services
of the school system. It relies on a comprehensive, two-way communication process involving both
and external publics with the goal of stimulating better understanding of the role, objectives,
and needs of HCPS. The goal of the Communications Office is to assist in interpreting public attitudes,
identify and help shape policies and procedures in the public interest, and carry on involvement and
information activities which earn public understanding and support. The Manager of Communications
and coordinates these communications efforts and serves as the school system's chief spokesperson. The
office aims to support the district's mission, vision and goals by building strong relationships with
stakeholders, aligning messages for key initiatives and programs, and engaging the community in two-way
communication targeted to their needs.
Communication Audit Report
Harford Cable Network (HCN) now has a channel on Verizon FiOS! Check out these shows on HCN
Comcast Channel 21, Armstrong
Channel 7 and Verizon FiOS Channel 31.
To request a DVD/VHS copy of a program aired on HCN, please contact the
Harford Cable Network
The Harford County Board of Education Meetings are streamed live
during Board Meetings on Monday. The latest Harford County Board of Education
sponsored by HAR-CO Maryland Federal Credit Union. For more information about the Board
please visit the
Board of Education Meeting Information Page
To view older Board Meetings please
This Harford Cable Network (HCN) program is dedicated to featuring positive, kids-oriented
current events in Harford County.
From local events and sports, to fitness and art, KidsTVNews provides useful information
for kids of all ages. This program features the Cool Harford Schools segment, which
topics specific to Harford County Public Schools. The
Harford County High School athletes from throughout the county go head to head in weekly
competition. Sports include football,
soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey, cheerleading, tennis, golf & swimming.
For more information about HCPS Athletics, visit the
Athletics Home Page
To view archieved High School Games of the Week
All County Band Concerts held at various schools.
For more information about All-County Music Program, visit the
Music Department Home Page
Combined chorus made up of vocalists from various high schools throughout Harford County.
Lauren Byrd is a 17-year veteran teacher who is committed to her students success both inside and outside of the classroom. She believes the best learning happens through meaningful relationships built with students and families. She currently teaches first grade at Hickory Elementary School. She holds a master's degree from Loyola University as a reading teacher and a bachelor's degree in Early Childhood and Elementary Education from Juniata College. She has partnered with the Instructional Technology Team and English/Language Arts Department to work on pilot programs, curriculum teams, and teacher leadership committees to help serve the students and teachers of Harford County.
View Teacher of the Year Archive
The Harford County Public School System began an Educator Hall of Fame program in October,
month, during the school
year, one former HCPS educator is inducted into the Hall of Fame based on their outstanding
students, colleagues, and the community for at least 20 years. The prospective Hall of Fame
nominated by the Harford County Retired School Personnel Association and confirmed by the
The inductees (or their families in case the inductee is not available or is deceased) are
a Board of Education meeting where they are recognized with plaques, certificates from
officials, and are prominently featured on the school system website,
www.hcps.org. For more information on the program, contact
system Communications Specialist,
Lindsay Bilodeau, 410-588-5203
Hall of Fame Nomination Form (applications accepted year-round)
Manager of Communications
Graphic Design and Technical Specialist
Communications Office Secretary
UPDATE: JUNE 16, 2021
The following message will be sent via phone, email, and text to all contacts in our mass communication system at 10:00 a.m.
On Tuesday, June 15, Governor Hogan announced that the state of emergency and mask mandate will be lifted effective July 1 for the state of Maryland. As of July 1, Harford County Public Schools will adhere to the Governor’s announcement and will remove the mask mandate in all HCPS schools and offices. This means that for all in-person summer school instruction and summer programs, students, and staff, will not be required to wear masks as of July 1. If you would like your child to continue wearing a mask in school, please instruct your child to do so. In addition, for the 4th of July events that occur after July 1, students and chaperones may choose to wear masks, but HCPS will not require masks during 4th of July events occurring after July 1. Participants will still need to follow any parade committee guidelines. We expect to begin the 2021-2022 school year without masks. We will continue to dialogue with the Harford County Health Department, as well as review CDC and MSDE guidance around schools and best practice response to COVID-19 throughout the summer. We hope you have a wonderful summer.
UPDATE: JUNE 15, 2021
BOARD OF EDUCATION OF HARFORD COUNTY
NOTICE OF PUBLIC COMMENT PARTICIPATION
BUSINESS MEETING – JUNE 21, 2021 – 6:30PM
The Board of Education of Harford County Business Meeting will be held on June 21, 2021 at 6:30PM with only Board Members, staff, and presenters in attendance virtually. The meeting will be streamed live and archived for later viewing on the HCPS Website.
Public Comment Participation Call-In Process
Community members who wish to provide comments during the Public Comments segment of the Business meeting are required to register by completing this form Public Comment Registration Form, https://www.hcps.org/boe/publiccommentrequest.aspx
Registrations must be received by 9:00AM on Monday, June 21, 2021. All fields on the registration form must be completed.
First and Last name
1. Registered speakers will receive an email from HCPS with a Call-in Phone # and a Conference ID #.
2. Registered speakers are required to call-in and enter the conference ID# at 6:30PM on Monday, June 21, 2021.
3. Important: If you are unable to take your phone off mute, you may need to dial *6.
4. All speakers, regardless of affiliation, will receive 3-minutes per speaker. Speakers may be interrupted and be given notice when they have 30 seconds left. When speakers have reached their 3-minute mark, callers will be removed from the meeting.
5. The Board has allotted two-hours for the Public Comments segment of the Business meeting.
6. If you are admitted from the virtual lobby to the meeting within the two-hour time constraint, you will be placed on hold and greeted by an HCPS staff member when it is time to begin your public comment. Expected hold time may vary based on number of registered speakers. The maximum wait time in the lobby is 30 minutes; should you be disconnected please call back.
7. Registration forms are limited to one (1) per person.
8. In accordance with Board policy, if the number of speakers impede the ability of the Board to complete scheduled business, the Board reserves the right to reduce the amount of time allotted per speaker, or overall time allotted for public comment.
9. The Board expects that all comments will be submitted with the decorum and respect appropriate to the conduct of public business.
10. Topics such as personnel matters, pending appeals, specific student disciplinary matters or which constitute commercial solicitations are not permitted.
11. Disparaging comments, personal attacks, and inflammatory remarks about specific schools or personnel are not permitted. Speakers who engage in these comments will be reminded of the rules and the Board reserves the right to remove the speaker from the call.
12. All public comments submitted will be part of the records maintained by the Board office.
Speakers are reminded that public comments are considered public information and, as such, are subject to the Maryland Public Information Act.
UPDATE: JUNE 15, 2021
This message is being sent to all parents and guardians with a student entering 12th grade in the 2021-22 school year. The information will be sent via our mass communication system phone, email, and text, at 5:00 p.m.
Harford Community College (HCC) and Harford County Public Schools (HCPS) invite students entering 12th grade in the 2021-2022 school year to join HCC for one of two virtual events on July 20, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or on July 21, 2021 from 5-7:30 p.m. The virtual event will highlight dual enrollment opportunities at HCC for the 2021-22 school year.
Students, parents, and guardians are welcome to attend. You will hear what it’s like to be a dual enrolled student from students currently enrolled. You will have the opportunity to participate in a virtual campus tour and hear about the resources available at HCC, like the learning center, library, and more. In addition, HCC will discuss the multiple apps, study groups, and “how-to’s” like using technology, study groups and more, that will be necessary for dual enrolled students.
Students may register here.
6/16/2021 8:24:06 AM